Achievements of Department of Social Welfare Women and Child Development, Chandigarh
- U.T. Chandigarh has been honoured with the Status of Best U.T. by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Govt. of India, New Delhi at the POSHAN Maah Award Ceremony on 10.10.2018 and was also awarded eight State Level Awards (Individual as well as State Level Category). Two State Level awards were:
- Best Social Media Campaign
- Maximum Reach Across all 8 Themes
In the recent award ceremony held in August’ 2019 under POSHAN Abhiyaan, U.T. Chandigarh has also bagged 1st Position in the following two categories at the National Level:-
- ICDS-CAS Implementation - Rs. 1.0 crore
- Overall Excellence in Implementation - Rs. 1.5 crore
- Best Block Level Leadership Awards - Certificate and Medal
- AAAA & LS (AWW, AWH, ASHA, ANM & LS) - Rs. 2.5 lakh to each Awardee
The following initiatives were undertaken while implementing POSHAN Abhiyaan
- State and Regional Level workshops were organized in U.T. Chandigarh emphasizing on objectives of POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- 100% Procurement of Growth Monitoring Devices and Mobile Phones along with SIM cards for implementation of ICDS-CAS and its distribution in all 450 Anganwadi workers
- Chandigarh is the first U.T. in India to successfully rollout Real-Time Monitoring in all Anganwadi Centers by 100% implementation of ICDS-CAS (Common Application Software) which lead to digitalization of all 450 Anganwadis and discontinuation of 11 registers.
- CD on POSHAN for Specially Abled (Deaf and Dumb) person was prepared in sign language and Launch of booklet “SUPOSHAN”- a handbook on nutrition related information.
- Celebration of Rashtriya POSHAN Maah and POSHAN Pakhwada as a part of Jan Andolan: 17,563 activities such as rallies, POSHAN Melas, Nukkad Natak, Puppet Show, mother day, Rallies, Cycle Rallies, Flash Mobs, Exhibition on Low Cost Recipes, Healthy Tiffin Competition, Haat Bazar on Nutrition, Prabhat Pheri, Jago, Skit, POSHAN Pledge etc. were undertaken in convergence with line Departments of U.T. Chandigarh covering approximately 7,21,167 beneficiaries.
- Components of POSHAN Abhiyaan such as Convergence Action Plan, Community Based Events and ILA trainings (upto 16 modules) have been implemented in U.T. Chnadigarh.
- Special Initiatives like Poshan Challenge with the tag line “Each One, Feed One” was undertaken to mobilize youth of Chandigarh.
- In a unique initiative to enhance nutritional value of food, additional food i.e. Milk, Egg, Curd and Banana is provided to 1291 children in the age group of 03 to 06 years in 58 Anganwadi Centres of Rural areas of U.T. Chandigarh since October '2018.
- Upgradation of 116 Anganwadi Centres has been initiated and Rs 87.00 Lakh were released to Engineering Department, Chandigarh in December '2018 to build child-friendly toilets for children and infrastructural development.
- 100% posts were filled during the year 2018-19 in ICDS through dedicated efforts for effective implementation of the Scheme. 03 CDPO’s, 18 Supervisors, 450 Anganwadi Workers and 450 Anganwadi Helpers are in position in ICDS.
- Disbursal of Pensions through Aadhar Based Payment System to 23,003 beneficiaries of U.T. Chandigarh under various Social Security Schemes run for the welfare of Widow Women, Senior Citizens, Persons with Disability and Dependent Children of Widow Mothers.
The Department of Social Welfare has framed and notified Right of Persons with Disabilities Rules in the year 2018 for proper implementation of Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016.
- Three vocational labs (cutting & tailoring, computer and cookery) have been set up under CSR by SML ISUZU Ltd. at Children’s Home Snehalaya for Girls, Sector-15, Chandigarh.
Implemented the women empowerment scheme i.e. Mahila Shakti Kendra under the umbrella scheme Pradhan Mantri Shashaktikaran Yojna (PMSY) in U.T. Chandigarh and Staff has been appointed at District Level Centre for Women under MSK.
Training in Certified Vocational Courses was provided to 3604 Women, Scheduled Caste, Backward Classes, Minorities, Person with Disabilities and Safaikaramcharies candidates in different trades such as Cutting, Tailoring, Fashion Designing, Embroidery Course, Advance Beauty Culture Course, Stenography (English), Bakery course and Electrical Technician Courses, etc.
- As an innovative step, the residents of Senior Citizens Home, Sector-15 visit Child Care Institute Aashiana, Sector-15 so that children of Aashiana can have the warmth of love from the senior citizens as their grandparents & vice versa. This initiative promotes intergenerational learning and develops meaningful relationships.