The Department of Social Welfare, Women and Child Development, Chandigarh Administration is running various welfare schemes, programmes and institutions for the welfare of the Scheduled Caste, Other Backward Classes, Persons with Disabilities, Women and Children and other vulnerable sections of the Society. The Department is managing one Nari Niketan, and many other institutions which are being run or managed through various Non-Government agencies. The various schemes of this department are Post Delivery Financial Assistance to Women for Nutrition; Apni Beti Apna Dhan; Holiday Camps for Scheduled Caste; Encouragement to inter-caste Marriage; Development of Skills amongst SC children living in Jhuggies and Slum Areas; Seminar on Life, Mission & Work of Baba Saheb Dr.B.R. Ambedkar, Monetary Relief/ Rehabilitation of Victims of Atrocities; Strengthening of Machinery for the enforcement of PCR Act. For Social Security and Welfare of Women and Children, there are schemes like Creches for the Children of Working Mothers; Home for Delinquent/Neglected Children (J.J Home Sector 25, Chandigarh); Children in need of Care and Protection; Financial Assistance to Widows/Destitute Women; Nari Niketan, Incentive to New Born Girl Children and Provision for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). 450 Anganwari Centres are being run by the ICDS Projects. For the disabled, schemes of Subsidy on Petrol/Diesel; Prosthetic Aid, Unemployment Allowance etc. are being implemented. For the aged, scheme of Old Age Pension is being implemented and Identity Cards to Senior Citizens are also being issued. An Ex-Gratia payment to the family of deceased Govt. servants is being released by this department. The disbursement of pension under the scheme Old Age Pension, Pension to Disabled Persons, Pension to Widows and Destitute Women and Financial Assistance to the Dependent Children of widow women is being made through Aadhaar seeded Bank Account.
The following institutions are functioning in the Union Territory of Chandigarh for providing shelter to the aged, Disabled and Shelter Home for Women.
- A Senior Citizens’ Home has been set up Sector 43, Chandigarh which is being managed by Chandigarh Child & Women Development Corporation.
- A Home for Old & Destitute People is functioning in Sector 15, Chandigarh in the Govt. building which is being managed by the Chandigarh Scheduled Castes Backward Classes & Minorities Financial & Development Corporation.
- Day Care Centre for Elderly Disabled in Home for Old & Destitute People, Sector 15, Chandigarh is being run by Chandigarh Scheduled Castes, Backward Classes & Minorities Financial & Development Corporation.
- Day Care Centre for Disabled in Aasha Kiran, Sector 46 is being run by Chandigarh Child and Women Development Corporation,.
- An Observation-cum-Special Home for Reception of Children (Male) conflicting with law has been set up in Sector 25, Chandigarh which is being managed by Chandigarh Child & Women Development Corporation.
- An Observation cum Special Home for Reception of Children (Female) conflicting with law has been set up in Nari Nikaten, Sector 26, Chandigarh.
- Vocational Training and Production Centre for Disabled building has been set up in Sector 46, being managed by Chandigarh Child & Women Development Corporation.
- A Shelter Home for Women in Difficult Circumstances has been set up in sector 43 Chandigarh under Swadhar Scheme of Govt. of India
- Children’s Home for Girls(Aashiana), Sector 15, Chandigarh is being managed by the Chandigarh Child and Women Development Corporation.
- Snehalaya (VTC-Maloya) for boys is being managed by the Chandigarh Child and Women Development Corporation.