Foster Care Scheme
Foster Care Scheme; “Be a Foster Parent- Foster a Child, Foster Dreams”
What the Scheme is about- Foster care is an arrangement whereby a child lives, usually on a temporary basis, with unrelated family members. A child shall be preferably placed with child’s extended family or with close friends of the family who are known to child and when such options are either not available or not willing to take care of the child, the child may be placed in foster care.
Who can be considered for Foster Care:
- Children in the age group 0-6 years shall not ordinarily be considered for placement in long term Foster care as such small children should be preferably provided a permanent family through adoption; Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children, 2015 shall apply.
- Children in the age group of 6-18 years who have been staying in child care institutions; shall be placed in foster care based on their individual care plan developed in the institution;
- Children whose parents are terminally ill and have submitted a request to the Committee or the District Child Protection Unit for taking care
- of their child as they are unable to take care of their child;
- Children identified by DCPU through PO(NIC)
- whose parents are mentally ill and are unable to take care of the child;
- whose one or both parents are in jail;
- who are victims of physical, emotional or sexual abuse, natural disasters and domestic violence.
Eligibility Criteria for Foster Parents: Any Indian married couple above the age of 35 years (Both Spouses) having sound medical and financial condition can apply to register as a Foster Parent at District Child Protection Unit, Maloya
- MODEL GUIDELINES FOR FOSTER CARE, 2015 of Ministry of Women and Child Development, GOI